FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Toni DeLancey, Ph.D
September 12, 2019 [email protected] 202-527-3434
Washington, D.C. – Concerned Women for America (CWA), the nation’s largest public policy women’s organization, celebrated and honored 40 years promoting Biblical principles and pro-women policies today at the Trump International Hotel. The Honorable Mike Pence, Vice President of the United States and his wife, Karen, and the Honorable Mike Huckabee, former Governor of Arkansas attended and addressed the attendees at the Anniversary Gala. President Trump sent taped remarks to view during the festivities.
Founded by Dr. Beverly LaHaye in 1979, CWA has been instrumental in advocating for their seven core issues: Sanctity of Life, Defense of Family, Education, Religious Liberty, National Sovereignty, Sexual Exploitation, and Support for Israel.
“This event is so special for me and for Concerned Women for America,” Mrs. Beverly LaHaye said. “For CWA to continue to draw notable honored guests like our Vice President of the United States, Mike Pence, and his lovely wife, Karen, and Governor Mike Huckabee – is an indication of God’s continued favor over Concerned Women for America these last forty years. I am grateful for that favor and blessing; it has truly been the honor of my lifetime to lead CWA.”
The staff and grass roots volunteers of CWA are known on Capitol Hill and at state legislatures across the nation for their tenacity when it comes to protecting women, our children, and America’s future. They are never afraid to speak out, stand up, and make a national impact. Among recent notable accomplishments:
- Helping to re-shape the U.S. Supreme Court and helping to set a new record of constitutionalist judges in circuit courts around the country,
- Strengthening legislation to prioritize rape kit testing to bring justice to women victims of sexual assault,
- Forming a powerful women’s coalition to oppose gender identity laws that overturn women’s rights to privacy, safety, and Title IX protections in female sports,
- Securing promise for presidential veto of any legislation that would compromise protections for life,
- Advancing defunding of abortion clinics with thousands of public comments supporting new Title X regulations, and
- Defending family and life, empowering women, and advocating for religious freedom around the world.
“In the last 40 years CWA has journeyed from a small but passionate group of activist women to a mighty army of amazing, accomplished women with enormous influence on our culture and government. We are now a formidable Washington institution. Today, we celebrate our grassroots leaders who are the power behind our organization and reason for our success. With the retirement of Mrs. Beverly LaHaye, who has served God faithfully, we’re marking the passing of the baton on the firm foundation from which she built this organization,” said Penny Nance, CEO and President. “As we move into the dawn of a new era here at CWA, we welcome Linda Murphy as Chairman of the Board and look forward with enthusiasm and passion to the future.”
Throughout the evening, notable guests including senators and former officials and friends honored the accomplishments and work of CWA. For an overview of the heart of Concerned Women for America, see the below photos and watch the linked video.
Images from the event: