Concerned Women for America through its Board of Trustees has established Sanctity of Life as one of its seven core issues on which we focus our efforts. Below, please find a few very basic verses that describe the Biblical support we find for our focus on this issue, as taken from our Core Issues: Biblical Foundations document. We also include our concerns on this issue, followed by the goals set forth to reverse the devastating trends in our society, as taken from our Concerns and Goals document.
Sanctity of Life
Humans reflect the image of God.
- “So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.” (Genesis 1:27)
The punishment of death was applied to those who take another’s life because God values human life.
- “Whoever sheds man’s blood, by man his blood shall be shed; For in the image of God He made man.” (Genesis 9:6)
God gives life before birth and cares for the unborn.
- “For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well. My frame was not hidden from You, When I was made in secret, And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, The days fashioned for me, When as yet there were none of them.” (Psalm 139:13-16)
God has a purpose and calling for individuals even before we are born.
- “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations.” (Jeremiah 1:5)
- “For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink. He will also be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother’s womb.” (Luke 1:15)
Concerns and Goals
We are concerned about:
- The protection of innocent human life — including protecting the unborn from chemical and surgical abortion, infanticide, fetal tissue experimentation, and embryonic research; and society from euthanasia, cloning, population control and human genetic engineering.
- The physical, emotional, and spiritual harm to women, men and their families resulting from abortion.
- The devaluing of all human life; a man cannot love God and hate his brother.
We are working to see:
- Laws passed to protect our society from practices and policies that endanger or debase innocent human life.
- Public awareness of the harm of abortion to women, men and their families; and the promotion of pregnancy care centers and post-abortion counseling services.
- Society/culture following the Biblical standard of loving your neighbor as yourself.
Sanctity of Life Articles
Washington, D.C. — The U.S. Supreme Court released its opinion in Little Sisters of the Poor Saints Peter and Paul Home v. Pennsylvania. Once again, the Court sides (7-2) with…
If there was any doubt about what the U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts’ era at the Supreme Court was all about, they were erased this week as the…
Concerned Women for America (CWA) is dismayed by the U.S. Supreme Court’s 5-4 decision this week in June Medical Services v. Russo. The decision is not a ruling involving the…
This week the U.S. learned the Communist Chinese Party (CCP) is using forced abortion, forced sterilization, and coercive family planning against the Uyghurs and other minorities in Xinjiang as part…
CWA’s CEO and President Penny Young Nance wrote the following op-ed published on CNS News. “It is always sobering to stand and contemplate the destruction and devastation left along the pathway…
Our CEO and President Penny Nance appeared on Daystar TV on the “Marcus & Joni” Show. Penny spoke to Marcus and Joni Lamb about numerous topics including her book, Feisty…
CWA’s Vice President for International Affairs, Dr. Shea Garrison, teamed up with Emilie Kao, director of the DeVos Center for Religion & Civil Society at The Heritage Foundation on an…