Last week, CWA of Illinois volunteer lobbyists were among multiple organizations participating in the Illinois Family Institute Lobby Day at the Illinois Capitol in Springfield. Our mission was to persuade legislators to oppose bad bills that are making their way through the legislative process.
This week it’s time for the Governor and Illinois legislators to hear from you! It is important to contact your Illinois lawmakers on pending legislation, even when you know he/she agrees with your position. More than one lawmaker mentioned they only hear from constituents who oppose where they stand on legislation or are critical of the job they are doing. They need your support. Also, when calling be sure to let them know that you are a member of Concerned Women for America of Illinois.
TAXPAYER FUNDED ABORTION BILL IS NOW ON GOV. RAUNER’S DESK
HB 40 is on Gov. Rauner’s desk. He will have 60 days to keep his pledge to veto it. If he does nothing, it automatically becomes law, and we as taxpayers will be funding abortions.
A special thanks to those who have already contacted the Governor in response to our e-alert on this subject. If you have not yet contacted him, it’s not too late!
Take Action: Contact Gov. Bruce Rauner and remind him that he pledged to veto HB 40!
THE EQUAL RIGHTS AMENDMENT MUST BE STOPPED
The Equal Rights Amendment (ERA) has passed out of Illinois Senate committees for the 16th time and could be voted on by the full Senate any time. It is possible to stop ERA once and for all in the full Senate because it requires a 3/5 majority vote to pass a constitutional amendment.
A special thanks to those who have already contacted their senator in response to our last e-alert on this subject. If you have not yet contacted your senator, it’s not too late!
Click here for more information about the ERA and why we adamantly oppose it.
Take Action: Contact your Senator today! If you know who he/she is, click here to find their contact information. If you don’t know who your senator is, click here to find out their name and contact information based on your address. Respectfully, yet firmly, ask him/her to vote “NO” on the ERA, #SJRCA4. Leave a message after hours if you need to do that.
GENDER IS A FACT NOT A FEELING
HB 1785 is still in the House Rules Committee. HB 1785 would amend the Vital Records Act to allow gender-dysphoric persons to change their gender on their birth certificate with a declaration from a health care worker or mental health professional that states the person has undergone “gender transition treatment.”
The majority of babies in the womb each have hormones and chromosomes that distinguish them as either male or female at as early at 16 weeks’ gestation. Only 0.018 do not. “Treatments” for gender dysphoria such as cross-sex hormones, gender-change surgery, and social/legal transition cannot change a person’s biological sex.
A special thanks to those who have already contacted the committee members in response to our last e-alert on this subject. If you have not yet contacted the committee members, it’s not too late!
Take Action: Although no hearing date has been set, this is still an active bill. Contact the House Rules Committee members, as well as your representative, in case it moves quickly out of committee and to the house floor for a vote. Click here to contact the committee members. If you know who your representative is, click here to find their contact information. If you don’t know who your representative is, click here to find out their name and contact information based on your address. Tell them you are opposed to the altering of Illinois Birth Certificates and ask them to vote “NO” on HB 1785.
WE OPPOSE RECREATIONAL MARIJUANA
They are essentially the same bill entered into both the House and Senate.
These amendments propose that Illinoisans age 21 and older could legally possess, manufacture, and sell marijuana. It would be treated like alcohol.
Both amendments justify legalized marijuana “[i]n the interest of allowing law enforcement to focus on violent and property crimes, generating revenue for education and other purposes, and individual freedom.”
As the most widely used illicit drug, chronic marijuana usage has been associated with mental illness, and marijuana contains 50-70 percent more cancer-causing substances than tobacco smoke; marijuana users are likely to use heroin or other more potent substances.
Though this legislation does not allow the use of marijuana by minors, it will inevitably make it more accessible to minors. This is what they have seen in Colorado as hospital and ER admissions have skyrocketed for underage users. Marijuana can affect brain development in minors, and one of six children who use marijuana will become addicted.
We are unsure if these amendments will come up for a vote this session. It is vital though that we send a clear message to both the House and Senate as to how we see the issue of recreational marijuana. Whether they vote on these amendments this year or next, CWA of Illinois members need to make their position clear now.
- Contact your senator and urge him/her to vote NO on SB 316 if it comes up for a vote. If you know who he/she is, click here to find their contact information. If you don’t know who your senator is, click here to find out their name and contact information based on your address.
- Contact your representative and urge him/her to vote NO on HB 2353 if it comes up for a vote. If you know who your representative is, click here to find their contact information. If you don’t know who your representative is, click here to find out their name and contact information based on your address.
Please Take a Moment to Pray
- Pray for each of these bills. Pray that the schemes of the enemy would be thwarted and that each one would fail.
- Pray for the 100th General Assembly to be convicted of the spiritual ramification of voting for unrighteous laws: They will ultimately be held accountable to Almighty God for their votes.
- Pray pastors and Christians would be vocal advocates for Christ in public discourse and defending sound legislation.
One More Action Item: Forward this alert now to everyone you know, especially your pastor and members of your congregation.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” – Edmund Burke
Ready to take the next step? Get more involved with CWA of Illinois.
- Join a Prayer/Action chapter. Contact me today to find out if there is a CWA chapter in your area.
- Please donate to CWA of Illinois. Our state is run exclusively by volunteers and supported 100 percent through donations.
- If someone forwarded you this e-alert, and you would like to be on our e-mail list, contact me and I will be happy to do so.