January 16, 2018, is Religious Freedom Day across the nation. It commemorates the Virginia General Assembly’s adoption of Thomas Jefferson’s landmark Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom on January 16, 1786. That statute became the basis for the Establishment Clause in the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution and led to freedom of religion for all Americans. Religious Freedom Day is officially proclaimed on January 16 each year by a statement by the President of the United States.
Gov. Doug Burgum has declared this day to be Religious Freedom Day in North Dakota! Click here to view his proclamation.
Last week, the North Dakota Legislative Prayer Caucus had a press conference in our state capitol to announce this proclamation. State Sen. Janne Myrdal (R-District 10) led in prayer. I found the event to be very encouraging!
Please take time tomorrow, January 16, to recognize Religious Freedom Day.
- Pray for the leaders of both our state and country.
- Pray the Lord will raise up leaders across our nation who will honor Christ’s ways and seek His favor. May they do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly before (Micah 6:8)
- Thank the Lord for the religious freedom that we experience, especially in comparison to many countries.
- Pray for protection from those who aim to take this sacred freedom from us through public opinion, the courts, and the legislative process.
- Pray that faithful prayer warriors from all across our state will rise up!
“God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that His justice cannot sleep forever.” – Thomas Jefferson
Please share this prayer need with your like-minded family and friends.