ERA – the Constitutional Amendment that is technically dead has been resuscitated for the 16th time in Illinois. A committee hearing is scheduled tomorrow Tuesday, April 26, 2017 at 3:30 p.m., in the Illinois Senate. If this issue was not so serious, it would be laughable. When is enough ENOUGH?
History of ERA:
For those who are too young to remember ERA:
- Passage of the ERA would add these words to the U.S. Constitution: “Equality of rights under law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State on account of sex.”
- The ERA would wipe out all ability to use any laws using gender as a defining characteristic. This would overturn workplace and family laws that protect women; privacy laws that define who may use gender oriented bathrooms and locker rooms; and religious freedom laws. The ERA would also integrate same-sex and bi-sexual attraction into the U.S. Constitution.
- The ERA could very well affect almost every area of life including Social Security, Medicare, Health, insurance benefits, Medicare benefits, and pro-life issues
- The time limit for ratification of the ERA ended in 1979, but Congress granted an extension to 1982. In 1981, a U.S. District Court ruled the extension was unconstitutional. The Supreme Court dismissed the extension as moot.
- From 1972 – 2015 the Illinois General Assembly voted NO on ERA 14 times.
- Ask forgiveness for the complacency of Illinois Christians for not standing for their faith and allowing evil laws to rule our state.
- Thank the Lord for the many times He has held back the ERA in Illinois. Ask Him to intervene on our behalf.
- Ask for the fear of the Lord to fall upon the Subcommittee on Constitutional Amendments and let them see the folly of this Constitutional Amendment.
- Sign a witness slip opposing THE ERA http://my.ilga.gov/WitnessSlip/Create/99262?committeeHearingId=14797&LegislationId=99262&CommitteeHearings-page=1&_=1493131568770.
- Most of the form is self-explanatory, but the following should help:
- Firm/Business or Agency write Illinois citizen
- Title write Illinois citizen
- Check OPPONENT
- Check RECORD OF APPEARANCE
Pro-ERA proponents have never stopped working behind the scenes to ratify the ERA in Illinois. Feminist Gloria Steinem wants to see the ratification of the ERA in her lifetime.
CWA MEMBERS! The ERA is the issue that started CWA in 1978! We stand strong and will not back down! Let’s stop the ERA once and for all!
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” Edmund Burke
Become a part of CWA of Illinois! Together we can make a difference in our communities, state and country. Contact me today!