In July 2016, Superintendent David Dude began to quietly implement radical new guidelines concerning the handling of transgender students in City Schools of Decatur (CSD); these guidelines were never submitted to parents for review or to the school board for a public vote. CWA of Georgia alerted our members about this “policy by fiat,” and urged phone calls be made to the superintendent and board members. CWA of Georgia also attended one of the school board meetings to voice our opposition to the transgender policy.
Alarms have been going off across the nation for years as to the unintended consequences of a policy that forces students to share restrooms, locker rooms, and showers with the opposite sex. Tragically, a six-year old Decatur student is paying the price for those who failed to heed the warnings. According to Vernadette Broyles, the attorney representing the young female victim and her parent, a male student entered a female restroom and sexually assaulted the female student. Ms. Broyles says the male student was legally permitted to enter the female restroom because of the school system’s transgender restroom access policy.
The U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, Atlanta Office has launched an investigation into the 2017 sexual assault. Alliance Defending Freedom released this press release concerning the investigation, along with a video account of the incident by the victim’s mother, Pascha Thomas.
A Call to Prayer
- Pray for the young victim and her mother, Pascha Thomas. Pray for healing and an understanding of how precious they are in God’s sight (Isaiah 43:4). Pray against the enemy who loves to bring shame, condemnation, and self-loathing.
- Pray for a reversal of the school district’s transgender policy.
A Call to Action
Except for the City Schools of Decatur, we do not believe there are any other school districts in the state with the same or similar transgender policy. School systems have been accommodating students who struggle with gender fluidity on a case-by-case basis. So what can you do?
- Read CWA of Georgia’s press release here.
- Show CWA and ADF’s press releases to your local school board member and superintendent. Politely urge them to reject any efforts to force students to share restrooms, locker rooms, and showers with the opposite sex. Accommodating for those who struggle with issues of transgenderism should not be predicated on the violation of everyone else’s rights.
- Email us what you learned about your local school system’s transgender policy.
This attempt at indoctrination and harm to our children must be stopped in its tracks. It is a battle in which we must all be engaged through prayer and action.
Ephesians 6:12, “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.”
CWA of Georgia