The Virginia Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, HB 2321
Sponsored by Delegate Dave LaRock
Summary: “The act prohibits an abortion after 20 weeks gestation unless, in reasonable medical judgment, the mother has a condition that so complicates her medical condition as to necessitate the abortion to avert her death or to avert serious risk of substantial and irreversible physical impairment of a major bodily function.” Click here to read the summary in its entirety as well as the text of the bill and it’s status.
- Unborn children have pain receptors (nociceptors) present throughout their entire body and nerves link these receptors to the brain’s thalamus and subcortical plate by no later than 20 weeks.
- The unborn child reacts to touch by 8 weeks after fertilization.
- After 20 weeks, the unborn child reacts to stimuli that would be recognized as painful if applied to an adult, for example, by recoiling.
- In the unborn child, application of such painful stimuli is associated with significant increases in stress hormones known as the stress response.
- For the purposes of surgery on unborn children, fetal anesthesia is routinely administered and is associated with a decrease in stress hormones compared to their level when painful stimuli are applied without such anesthesia.
- Consequently, there is substantial medical evidence that an unborn child is capable of experiencing pain by 20 weeks after fertilization.
- Therefore, Virginia has a compelling interest in protecting the lives of unborn children from the stage at which substantial medical evidence indicates that they are capable of feeling pain.
Status: This bill has been assigned to the House Courts of Justice Committee.
1. Please contact the Delegates on the House Courts of Justice Committee and ask that they support HB 2321.
Leslie R. Adams | 804-698-1016 | [email protected]
David B. Albo (Chair) | 804-698-1042 | [email protected]
Robert B. Bell (Vice Chair) | 804-698-1058 | [email protected]
Jeffrey L. Campbell | 804-698-1006 | [email protected]
Benjamin L. Cline | 804-698-1024 | [email protected]
C. Todd Gilbert | 804-698-1015 | Del[email protected]
Gregory D. Habeeb | 804-698-1008 | [email protected]
Charniele L. Herring | 804-698-1046 | [email protected]
Patrick A. Hope | 804-698-1047 | [email protected]
Mark L. Keam | 804-698-1035 | [email protected]
Terry G. Kilgore | 804-698-1001 | [email protected]
James A. (Jay) Leftwich Jr. | 804-698-1078 | [email protected]
G. M. (Manoli) Loupassi | 804-698-1068 | [email protected]
T. Montgomery Mason 804-698-1093 [email protected]
Jennifer L. McClellan | 804-698-1071 | [email protected]
Jackson H. Miller | 804-698-1050 | [email protected]
J. Randall Minchew | 804-698-1010 | [email protected]
Richard L. Morris 804-698-1064 [email protected]
David J. Toscano | 804-698-1057 | [email protected]
Ronald A. Villanueva 804-698-1021 | [email protected]
Vivian E. Watts | 804-698-1039 | [email protected]
2. Pass this e-alert on to like minded friends and family and encourage them to pray and act on behalf of the unborn.
Pray for each of these committee members by name. Pray they will see abortion for what it is and have the courage to vote accordingly.