It was a sad day yesterday when our State House voted 72-45 to ratify the ERA. The Senate passed it back in April.
Our country is now only one state short of being able to amend the constitution, kind of. Congress set a deadline of 1982 for three-fourths majority of state legislatures in order for the amendment to be applied to the U.S. Constitution. Backers have argued there’s precedent to show that deadlines on constitutional amendments don’t apply.
The following 10 Republicans voted for it: Steven A. Andersson (R-65), Dan Brady (R-105), Durkin, David Harris, Chad Hays (R-104), David Olsen (R-81), Robert Pritchard (R-70), Grant Wehrli (R-41), David Welter (R-75) and Christine Winger R-45)
5 Democrats voted against it: Monica Bristow (D-111), JerryCostello, II (D-116), Natalie Phelps Finnie (D-118), Mary Flowers (D-31), and Rita Mayfield (D-60).
If passed, the ERA would:
- Add these words to the U.S. Constitution: “Equality of rights under law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State on account of sex.”
- Be used to write abortion rights into our U.S. Constitution with the rationale that restricting access to abortion is a form of gender discrimination (since it singles women out for a physical aspect unique to them).
- Wipe out all ability to use any laws using gender as a defining characteristic therefore overturn workplace and family laws that protect women; privacy laws that define who may use gender-oriented bathrooms and locker rooms; and religious freedom laws.
- Integrate same-sex and bi-sexual attraction into the U.S. Constitution.
- Affect additional areas of life including social security, Medicare, health, insurance benefits, Medicare benefits, and more.
The passage of The ERA in Illinois unfortunately shows how far down the abyss our state and nation has gone. This is a giant step backwards for our God-given freedoms. The only way America will be restored is through God’s intervention and a turn back to the Biblical principles that formed our nation. Thank you for all who fought the good fight against this godless, anti-family U.S. Constitutional Amendment.
Now more than ever it is time to stand for Biblical truth. If we don’t stand up, who will? Our job now is to make sure that conservative justices are confirmed to the Supreme Court, so they will vote constitutionally if and when the occasion is presented to retroactively extend the time deadline of the ERA.
- Ask forgiveness for the complacency of Illinois Christians for not standing for their faith and allowing evil laws to rule our state and nation.
- Pray the passage of the ERA in Illinois is a WAKE UP CALL to Christians nationwide.
- Thank the Lord for the many times He has held back the ERA in Illinois. Ask Him to intervene on our behalf and end this abominable law once and for all via the Supreme Court.
- 1) Click here to find out who your state representative is and then click here to find out how he/she voted. Thank him/her if they voted NO on the ERA. If he/she voted YES express how you are disappointed in their vote and will consider their vote when voting in upcoming elections. Be sure to let him/her know what you are a member of Concerned Women for America of Illinois.
- 2) Contact me to find out how you can get more involved with CWA of Illinois. You are needed, now more than ever!
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” -Edmund Burke
CWA of Illinois
(815) 297-291Become a part of CWA of Illinois! Together we can make a difference in our communities, state and country. Contact me today!