Illinois House Bill 217
Conversion Therapy Prohibition Act Would Ban Gender Counseling to Minors
The Conversion Therapy Prohibition Act, HB 217, has been reintroduced into Illinois House. This bill would prohibit “any practices or treatments that seek to change an individual’s sexual orientation, as defined by (o-1) of Section 1-103 of the Illinois Human Rights Act: “actual or perceived heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality, or gender-related identity, whether or not traditionally associated with the person’s designated sex at birth.” Click here to read the bill in its entirety.
If passed this bill will prohibit counseling for gender-related issues for children under the age of 18 years old. It would also stymie any attempt to explore the root causes of “gender-related identity not associated with the person’s designated sex at birth.”
HB 217 – Summary
- Defines “mental health provider” and “sexual orientation change efforts”.
- Provides that no mental health provider shall engage in sexual orientation change efforts with a person under the age of 18.
- Provides that any sexual orientation change effort attempted on a person under the age of 18 by a mental health provider shall be considered unprofessional conduct.
- Provides that a mental health provider found to have engaged in a sexual orientation change effort shall be disciplined by the licensing entity or disciplinary review board with competent jurisdiction.
HB 217 – Status
- Kelly Cassidy (D-District 14) introduced HB 217 on January 16, 2015. Co-Sponsors of the bill include Ann Williams (D-District 11) and Sara Feigenholtz (D-District 12).
- It had its first reading on January 23, 2015, and has been referred to the General Assembly Rules Committee.
- State Sen. Daniel Biss (D-District 9) is expected to introduce a counterpart bill in the Illinois State Senate.
- Cassidy introduced a similar bill in 2014 but the legislation was voted down in April.
- Click here to review statues at any time.
- Pray that there will be a public stand against HB 217 by clergy, family counselors, and those believing in traditional family values.
- Pray for children and teens to understand their true sexual identities and not be swayed by same-sex indoctrination through the public school Comprehensive Sex Education curriculum and social media.
Take Action Today:
- Contact the Illinois General Assembly Rules Committee. Urge them to oppose HB 217.
- Contact your State Representatives. Urge them to oppose HB 217. If it moves quickly out of committee, your representatives need to be put on notice now that you want them to oppose HB 217. Don’t know who your representatives are? No problem, click here and put in your address. It’s easy!
- Contact your pastors, traditional family value counselors, as well as your family and friends. Urge them to stand against HB 217.