House Bill 377 will be heard in the House Education Committee tomorrow, Wednesday, February 18, at 3:00 p.m.
HB 377 would repeal the Common Core Standards in Montana. This bill deals with the Smarter Balance Assessment Consortium (SBAC) testing, public officials being members of private organizations who could exert control over public schools through standards and curriculum, and lays out a process for creating new standards in Mathematics and English Language Arts in Montana. And that’s just the beginning. Click here to review the bill for yourself.
Let’s stand together and rid our state of Common Core and create an educational system that is good for Montana’s teachers and children!
Pray for each members of the House Education Committee by name. Pray they would see the truth of the federal overreach that is called Common Core. Pray they would have the strength to stand for righteousness not only in voting for this legislation but speak out in favor of it. May they see that Common Core is bad for Montana teachers and children regardless of party affiliation. You can find the members of the House Education Committee here.
- Call 406-444-4800. Tell the operator you need to leave a message for all of the HOUSE Education Committee Members. The message is for each member to vote YES on HB 377. That is it! The phone calls are powerful as the members of the committee receive a yellow slip for each message that is left. The more the better! This causes them to pay attention to what we, the people, are saying! Call TODAY!
- If you are able, consider attending the committee meeting tomorrow at 3:00 p.m. at the Capitol in Helena in room 137. You can either prepare a brief, one to two minute statement about why you are against Common Core or you may just state your name and ask the committee to vote YES on HB 377.
- Share this information with your family and friends. Ask them to take two minutes out of their day and call Helena and ask the House Education Committee to vote YES on HB 377.
More about HB 377:
- Would create an Accredidation Standards Review Council.
- Deals with funding if a school chooses not to adopt the Common Core Standards.
- Would repeal the Common Core Standards in Montana.
- Gives the control back to parents and teachers.
- Would remove the SBAC testing as a requirement for the state.
- Prevents public officals from being members of associations that could have control over public schools in Montana such as the National Governor’s Association and the Chief Council of State School Officers, both of which were integral in creating the National Common Core Standards.
- Calls for the development of an Accredidation Standards Review Council. This council would effectively disperse the power and authority over public schools thus creating a more equal distribution of power.
- Would prohibit the witholding of BASE aid if a district decided not to adopt the content standards.
Thank you in advance for praying and taking action on this important issue.