Let Your Voice be Heard! STOP ERA!
Equal Rights Amendment UPDATE! URGENT!
HJRCA 7, the ERA, has been assigned to the House Judiciary Committee for a hearing. The hearing is scheduled for Wednesday, November 19, at 2:00 p.m. It could be called for a vote then if the sponsor decides to call it.
Please pray that:
1. The Equal Rights Amendment will never be ratified.
2. Illinois State Representatives will uphold the rule of law and rights of the states in protecting the rights of women.
Take action before Wednesday, November 19:
1. Contact the members of the Illinois House Judiciary Committee and urge them to end ERA once and for all.
2. Contact your State Representative. Urge him/her to vote NO on HJRCA7 if it is called for a vote. If you don’t know who your state representative is then click here, put in your zip code, scan down to State Representative, click on their Website were you will find contact information.
3. Submit a witness slip against HJRCA 7 before November 19.
• When the witness slip appears fill in your information in part 1
• Fill in “CWA of Illinois” or “Illinois citizen” in the Firm/Business/or Agency field
• Fill in “MEMBER” or “Illinois citizen” in Title field
• Go to part 3 for position and click on “opponent”
• On part 4 for testimony, click “record of appearance”
• Finally, type in the given authorization text, click your agreement to the terms of service, and click the “create witness slip” This enables you to officially file your opposition to the ERA for the awareness of the Executive Committee.
These slips do help!
History of the ERA
For those who are too young or too old to remember the ERA:
• Passage of the ERA would add these words to the U.S. Constitution: “Equality of rights under law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State on account of sex.”
• The ERA would remove all legal distinction between sexes. Men and women would be treated identical in value as well as in nature. The ERA would also integrate same-sex and bi-sexual attraction into the U.S. Constitution.
• The ERA could very well affect almost every area of life including Social Security, Medicare, Health, insurance benefits, Medicare benefits, and pro-life issues
• The time limit for ratification of the ERA ended in 1979, but Congress granted an extension to 1982. In 1981, a U.S. District Court ruled the extension was unconstitutional. The Supreme Court dismissed the extension as moot.
• From 1972 – 1982 the Illinois General Assembly voted NO on ERA 13 times.
Pro-ERA proponents have been working behind the scenes to ratify the ERA in Illinois. In fact, Feminist Gloria Steinem actively campaigned for lame-duck Gov. Pat Quinn during the 2014 elections.
This issue is what launched CWA in 1978. We stand strong and will not back down!
Let’s stop the ERA once and for all!
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” Edmund Burke