On Wednesday, February 26, the Missouri House of Representatives passed HB126, the Missouri Stands for the Unborn Act, by a vote of 117 – 39. Thanks be to God! HB126, also known as the “Heartbeat Bill,” would prohibit abortions once the fetal heartbeat is detected. HB126, sponsored by Rep. Nick Schroer (R-O’Fallon), was perfected on Tuesday, February 26. During the perfection process, several more measures were adopted into the bill, and HB126 became what has been called “the strongest pro-life bill ever attempted in the United States.”
This bill specifies the following:
- If there is any change in federal law or court decisions that allows abortion, it is the intent of the state of Missouri that abortion shall not be permitted in the state under any circumstances. If a total ban on abortion is not possible, abortions shall be limited to women who are less than eight weeks gestational age, with a required fetal heartbeat or brain function test, except in cases of medical emergency. This has become known as the “trigger law” which would go into effect when Roe v. Wade is overturned.
- If the state is prohibited from adopting the fetal heartbeat standard, abortions shall be limited to women less than 14 weeks gestational age. And, if that is not possible, Missouri will adopt a pain-capable standard, and abortions will not be permitted past 18 weeks gestational age.
- Prohibits selective abortions due to sex, race, or a diagnosis or potential diagnosis of Down Syndrome.
- Requires that for a minor to obtain an abortion, she must have consent of one parent and the physician must make a reasonable effort to notify the other custodial parent prior to performing the procedure.
- Requires that any referral for an abortion from a provider out-of-state be accompanied by all Missouri informed consent materials, either presented in person or mailed in within a reasonable amount of time.
- Increases the amount of medical malpractice insurance that an abortion provider must carry.
The bill will now go to the Senate for consideration. We call upon our pro-life Senate to take up HB 126 as passed in the House, pass it and send it to the Governor’s desk.
Please join us in prayer! We call upon our God to confuse the enemy and defeat any filibuster that the Democrats are planning in the Senate. We ask for wisdom and guidance for the two of us as we interact with many at the capitol today on this issue and others. Thank you.
CWA of Missouri
Pro Life Coordinator
CWA of Missouri