Much has happened within a short amount of time regarding the abortion bill, HB 633, requiring a 24-hour waiting period. As you may recall, CWA of Florida supported this bill which passed both chambers and was recently signed into law by Gov. Scott on June 10.
- The day after the Governor signed HB 633, the American Civil Liberty Union (ACLU) filed a constitutional challenge suing the State and asked for an injunction. Judge Charles Francis signed the injunction.
- The Attorney General, Pam Bondi, appealed the ruling on June 30. It was automatically stayed.
- The ACLU immediately filed suit to have the stay lifted, thus preventing the law from going into effect.
- Before Judge Francis could make a decision, all of his civil suits were moved to Judge Charles Dodson.
- Judge Dodson lifted the stay on July 2, thus reinstating the injunction, which puts the law on hold.
- AG, Pam Bondi, is expected to appeal this decision.
As you can see a lot of back and forth has happened within a short amount of time on this one new law.
Pray: As the lawsuit moves forward, fervently pray that the court would rule in favor of the State allowing this new law to stand.
Act: Check the state website for information as this issue continues to develop. In the meantime, please pass this along to family and friends who are interested and will pray.