If you live in Alexandria, Virginia, please read, act, and pray!
On June 28, 2022, Alexandria City Council adopted Resolution #3087, which directed Alexandria city officials to conduct a review of land-use regulations “to ensure unfettered administrative approval in any commercial or mixed-use zone” for abortion clinics in the City of Alexandria.
This Saturday, April 15, 2023, the Alexandria City Council will hold a hearing on the results of that review: Zoning Text Amendment #2023-00002, which will provide unfettered administrative approval for abortion clinics in the City of Alexandria. Read the Amendment text here and the staff report here.
If passed, abortion clinics will get a fast track to set up as a health profession office or medical care facility in areas zoned for commercial and mixed-use properties.
Urgent Action is Needed TODAY!
Contact the Alexandria City Council and express your strong opposition to the Amendment.
- Mayor Justin Wilson: email@example.com
- Vice Mayor Amy Jackson: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Councilman Canek Aguirre: email@example.com
- Councilmember Sarah Bagley: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Councilman John Chapman: email@example.com
- Councilwoman Alyia Gaskins: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Councilman R. Kirk McPike: email@example.com
- City Clerk: CouncilComment@alexandriava.gov
You can also use the online contact form or call 703-746-4500.
If you have Twitter, send a message to the City of Alexandria about your opposition here.
- I am a (resident of/employee of a company based in) the City of Alexandria.
- I strongly oppose Zoning Text Amendment #2023-00002.
- The Amendment wants to remove licensing requirements for zoning decisions about abortion clinics, which is disturbing given the gruesome practices of abortion provider Dr. Ulrich Klopfer in Indiana and the racist, deadly practices of abortion provider and murderer Dr. Kermit Gosnell in Pennsylvania.
- The Amendment prioritizes abortion clinics in zoning and at the expense of real healthcare by striking references in the Zoning Ordinance to offices and facilities that provide nursing, birthing services, medicine, dentistry, psychiatry, psychology, substance abuse programs, medical schools, medical and physical rehabilitation, trauma units, diagnostic imaging, radiation therapy, and more.
- I support real healthcare, not practices harmful for women who obtain abortions and the unborn children who are killed.
If you are interested in attending the meeting or providing public comment at the meeting, find more information about the April 15 City Council meeting here and consider coordinating with the Virginia Catholic Conference at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Elections matter. The next local elections are in 2024. Stay up to date on local election activity at https://www.alexandriava.gov/Elections.