Gov. J.B. Pritzker’s emergency rule extends Illinois’ shutdown
150 days and criminalizes non-compliant Illinois citizens.
Gov. J.B. Pritzker filed an emergency rule late Friday, May 15, that if approved will punish businesses that open to customers despite Illinois’ illegal lock-down orders. Presently under the Illinois Constitution, the governor only has the authority to lock down the state for thirty days. The state has been under lockdown for more than two months.
The proposed amendment to the emergency rule will:
- Extend the governor’s authority from 30 to 150 days.
- Fine designated nonessential businesses that open for business with a Class A misdemeanor (fine between $75 – $2,500).
- Force local boards and authorities to enforce the rules and regulations. “All local boards of health, health authorities and officers, police officers, sheriffs and all other officers and employees of the state or any locality shall enforce the rules and regulations so adopted and orders issued by the Department pursuant to this Section.”
- According to WTTW reporter Amanda Vinich’s online report, “Illinois House Republican Leader Jim Durkin, R-Western Springs, said in a statement Sunday: ‘These rules are a legal overreach and beyond the scope of the Governor’s authority. It will be a dark day in Illinois when we charge small businesses with a jailable crime for salvaging their livelihoods.’”
- Read the Edgar County Illinois Leaks coverage of Gov. Pritzker’s emergency rule here.
CWA of Illinois is calling on the state lawmakers sitting on the Joint Committee on Administrative Rules (JCAR) to vote to reject the governor’s unilateral power grab. Without public outcry, this order could be rubber-stamped any day.
Call the members of the JCAR today. Ask them to oppose this overreach by Gov. Pritzker by voting no on the emergency rules.
- Co-Chairman Sen. Bill Cunningham (D-District18): (217) 782-5145
- Co-Chairman Keith Wheeler (R-District 50): (217) 782-1486
- Sen. John Curran (R-District 41): (217) 782-9407
- Sen. Kimberly Lightford (D-District 4): (217) 782-8505
- Sen. Tony Munoz (D-District 1): (217) 782-9415
- Sen. Sue Rezin (R-District 38): (217) 782-3840
- Sen. Paul Schimpf (R-District58): (217) 782-8137
- Rep. Tom Demmer (R-District 90): (217) 782-0535
- Rep. Mike Halpin (D-District 72): (217) 782-5970
- Rep. Frances Ann Hurley (D-District 35)
- Rep. Steven Reick (R-District 63): (217) 782-1717
- Rep. Andre Thapedi (D-District 32): (217) 782-1702
- Financial restoration for non-essential businesses, churches, organizations, etc. lost from the COVID-19 shutdown.
- An abrupt halt of COVID-19 in our nation.
- Comfort for those who have lost loved ones to COVID-19 and protection for those fighting against this invisible enemy.
“Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.’” Psalm 91:1-2.