“Gambling is the child of avarice, the brother of iniquity, and the father of mischief.” – George Washington
Unable to pass a state budget or solve the state pension debacle, Illinois senators are placing their bets on SB7, a massive gambling bill that will expand casinos and video gambling.
Bad news: In their eagerness to put gambling profits into state coffers, the Illinois Senate ignored protocol and called several bill amendments for a vote on February 28 without a committee hearing. Amendments 3, 5, 6, 7, and 8 passed with 31 Yes votes and 26 No votes.
Potential good news: There are seven remaining amendments to this bill to be voted on. The way they set it up is that SB7 cannot take effect UNLESS all 12 amendments pass. Therefore amendments 1, 4, 9, 10, 12, 13, and 16 remain.
- The 100th General Assembly and Gov. Bruce Rauner would exercise discipline and self-control in cutting wasteful spending and reigning in Illinois’ out of control pension problem.
- Pastors and Christians would become actively involved in public policy.
- The Lord would convict the legislators of past wrong doings concerning over spending and find honorable ways to fix it.
- That SB 7 would not pass.
- Contact your state senator as soon as possible! Emphatically tell them to STOP exploiting the citizens of Illinois through gambling expansion by opposing the passage of any amendments to SB7 as well as SB7 itself. Too many lives have been destroyed! Be sure to tell them that you are a member of Concerned Women for America of Illinois.
If you know who he/she is, then click here to find their contact information. If you don’t know who your senator is, then click here to find out their name and contact information based on your address.
Clearly thank or express your displeasure accordingly. Click here to see how your state senator voted. The sponsors of this legislation include: State Senators Terry Link (D-Gurnee), Dave Syverson (R-Rockford), Mattie Hunter (D-Chicago) and Donne Trotter (D-Chicago).
- Forward this alert to everyone you know – especially your pastor and members of your congregation.
So, what was in the February 8 amendments?
- CASINOS in Chicago, Rockford, Danville, Lake County, south suburbs of Chicago, Williamson County, and 4 casinos at racetracks.
- CITY OWNED CASINO for Chicago that cannot be revoked or suspended!
- SLOTS and VIDEO GAMBLING at Chicago Airports
- REDUCING live horse racing
- PROGRESSIVE SLOT MACHINE JACKPOTS with NO CAP for casinos and video gambling
- GAMING POSITION increase from 1,200 to 2,000 at casinos (5-year tax break for current casino construction)
- VIDEO GAMBLING expansion by doubling amount per bet, increases jackpots from $500 to $1,199 with no limit on cash award for progressive jackpots.
Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction.
“For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.” (1 Timothy 6:9-10)
CWA of Illinois
Get involved with CWA of Illinois.
- Join a Prayer/Action group
- Donate to CWA of Illinois. Our state is run exclusively through donations.