“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.” –Ronald Reagan
On November 3, our nation will arrive at a crossroads, and the people will decide which direction we go. Now is not the time to sit back and let others decide on the issues of life, religious freedom, judges, and more.
Concerned Women for America (CWA) of South Dakota has taken a position on the three ballot measures on which South Dakotans will decide. Two deal with marijuana, and one with sports gambling. We urge a NO vote on all three.
Initiated Measure (IM)26, which would legalize medical marijuana, is 26-pages long and can be read here. In addition to objections to Initiated Measure (IM)26 as noted in our Fall Newsletter, the following are some additional points to consider:
- Section 96 of the measure would require the South Dakota Department of Education and the South Dakota Department of Health to allow students who are cannabis cardholders to have their “medicine” administered in school. (emphasis mine)
- IM26 (Section 59) states, “no local government may prohibit a dispensary” establishment in their jurisdiction. This is an affront to local control and makes marijuana easily available, providing opportunities for more users (and addicts). Medical marijuana creates a lucrative business.
- Marijuana is marketed as candy, cookies, or brownies, among other playful enticements for youth.
- Medical marijuana (IM26) is presented as a compassionate remedy for those suffering from chronic or severe pain. However, the FDA has approved some synthetic forms of marijuana by prescription (Marinol, dronabinol, and Sativex), without the addictive effects. With the passage of IM26, South Dakota will become a medical marijuana sanctuary state.
- Voter approval of IM26 (medical marijuana) is the first step and the easiest step to legalizing recreational marijuana (Constitutional Amendment A.)
“Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, …” I Corinthians 6:19
Join me in praying for our nation:
Father God, we thank You for Your blessings on our nation and for extending Your grace and mercy on us even though we have rebelled against You and sought our own evil way. Help us to humble ourselves, to pray, and seek Your face and turn from our wicked ways. Your covenant promises that You will hear from heaven and forgive our sin and heal our land (2 Chronicles 7:14). We ask that Your grace and mercy would shine on us once again and bring righteousness and revival to our nation. In Christ’s name. Amen.
Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. Please forward this e-alert to others who you think may be interested.