“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”
Last week, five CWA state leaders from South Dakota attended the Road to Majority Conference in Washington, D.C. where CWA joined the Faith and Freedom Coalition in sponsoring the event.
The conference began with a legislative luncheon where we heard from Sen. Marco Rubio, Sen. Rand Paul and Sen. Ted Cruz followed by lobbying activity at the Capitol. We visited the offices of Sens. Thune (R-SD) and Rounds (R-SD) as well as Rep. Noem (R-SD), providing information on the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, First Amendment Defense Act, and the Iran Nuclear Deal. We are pleased that Rep. Noem voted for the Pain-Capable legislation and also spoke in support of it on the House floor. Sens. Thune and Rounds are both co-sponsors of this good pro-life legislation.
Many of the presidential candidates spoke at the conference, and we have provided below a one-liner that reflects a quote from each speech. Numerous other pundits, media personalities, clergy, issue-oriented individuals graced the podium throughout the conference. Special breakout sessions included Protecting Educational Freedom, Pro-life panel, Protecting Religious Freedom and many others.
We were blessed to view a special screening of the new film produced by Kendrick Brothers titled War Room. Previous movies produced by Kendrick Brothers include Fireproof, Courageous, and Facing the Giants. War Room will be released the end of August. You won’t want to miss this powerful movie!
With so many presidential candidates speaking at the conference, a plethora of media was present to capture the event. I was interviewed by the Arkansas Gazette regarding my reaction to the candidates, and I was quoted here. This is my personal response and does not imply an endorsement by CWA.
Candidates for the 2016 Presidential Race
in order of appearance
June 18 – 20, 2015 Road to Majority Conference
- U.S. Senator Marco Rubio of Florida, “The American Dream holds us together as one people. … We can overcome bad presidents, tough economies and divisive issues. But if we lose the American Dream, we will lose our identity. There cannot be an America without the American Dream.”
- U.S. Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky, “I believe that America can successfully protect itself against potential terrorists without sacrificing civil liberties, and I reject the premise that the Federal Government must be given a blank check in the name of national security.”
- U.S. Senator Ted Cruz of Texas, “From the dawn of this country, at every stage America has enjoyed God’s providential blessing. … Together, we can restore that shining city on a hill that is the United States of America.”
- Governor John Kasich of Ohio, “Use your gifts to change the world.”
- Governor Bobby Jindal of Louisiana, “It is not the United States that created religious liberty, but religious liberty that created the United States.”
Former U.S. Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, Many candidates “will not actually fight for faith and freedom issues when the rubber meets the road.”
- Governor Rick Perry of Texas, “We failed to secure the peace after winning the Iraq War.”
- Carly Fiorina, former CEO of Hewlett-Packard, “We have a bureaucratic, corrupt Federal Government that must be challenged…”
- Governor Scott Walker of Wisconsin, “When I was in college, I was president of Marquette University Students for Life.”