Gov. Eric Greitens has expanded the special session call to include all pro-life protections being considered in HCS SB 5 (House Committee Substitute for Senate Bill 5) by the General Assembly. When the Missouri Senate reconvenes for special session later this month, it will have the opportunity to pass the strongest pro-life legislation in years.
Earlier this summer, Gov. Greitens called the Missouri General Assembly (MOGA) into a special session. They addressed what St. Louis had accomplished regarding the life issue through an ordinance it adopted in April. This session also restored protections for women through regulations on abortion facilities.
Please call your state senator and tell them to support HCS SB 5 with no changes. To find out who your state senator is, click here. Please call Senate Leadership, Sen. Ron Richard at (573)-751-2173 and Sen. Mike Kehoe at (573)-751-2076, and ask them to pass HCS SB 5 and to promote pro-life laws.
Finally, please pray for the Senate sponsor of HCS SB 5, Sen. Andrew Koenig (R-St. Louis County). If you would like to offer encouragement, his phone number is (573) 751-5568 and his email address is [email protected]. Please pray that the pro-life senators will stand strong for the sanctity of life and for the protection of women. Lastly, pray that those who support abortion will understand that life is sacred.
The Senate met in June. It should have only been a two-day event. The Missouri Senate has the ability to end a filibuster and vote on a bill if 18 of the senators will sign a discharge petition. Why the Republican leadership allowed the pro-choice Democratic senators to weaken the bill is still a mystery.
Thankfully, under the leadership of Speaker Todd Richardson, the House restored measures to protect women who have had abortions procedures. When the Senate reconvenes later this month, they will decide whether or not to pass HCS SB 5. The Missouri Senate is made up of a super majority of Republicans who were elected on the pro-life platform, so we are hopeful they support this pro-life legislation.
Please review this list from Catholic Conference, which explains HCS SB 5:
- The Missouri Senate is made up of a super majority of Republicans elected on the pro-life platform of the GOP party. Overturns a St. Louis “abortion sanctuary” ordinance and prohibits other municipalities from passing similar ordinances;
- Prohibits forcing religious schools to hire pro-abortion teachers and staff;
- Prohibits forcing landlords to rent to abortion clinics;
- Prohibits requiring abortion coverage in health insurance plans;
- Prohibits seeking to harass and disrupt the work of pregnancy resource centers.
- Only physicians licensed to practice in the state of Missouri may perform or induce abortions in an abortion facility located in Missouri;
- Retains current 72 hour reflection period prior to an abortion, but adds requirement that abortion physician meet in person with the woman considering an abortion 72 hours prior to performing or inducing an abortion to discuss medical risks;
- Requires an abortion doctor seeking to administer medical abortions to obtain approval of a “complication plan” from the Missouri Department of Health for steps that will be taken when problems arise from administering such an abortion;
- Requires abortion facilities to maintain written protocols for managing a medical emergency and transferring patients to a hospital with a reasonable distance from the facility for further emergency care;
- Creates a Class A misdemeanor if abortion staff knowingly orders or requests medical emergency responders to deviate from their standard procedures for responding to emergencies; (For example, telling responders they must pick up patients at back of abortion facility when front entrance is more accessible.)
- Strengthens current law requirements regarding how fetal tissue from abortion is to be submitted by an abortion facility to a board eligible pathologist for examination. Also strengthens requirements for pathologists to make fetal tissue reports to the Missouri Department of Health and the abortion facility; (The intent is to verify that no fetal tissue from an abortion is being illegally sold or donated for experimentation.)
- Requires abortion facilities to develop written policies protecting employees who disclose information about possible health and safety violations of state or federal law;
- Requires Missouri Department of Health to make annual, on-site and unannounced inspections of abortion facilities;
- Grants the Missouri Attorney General the authority to bring suit against an abortion facility for violation of abortion laws even when local prosecutor fails to act.
Click here to access the current version of HCS SB 5.
Thank you for your support!
Missouri State Director
Concerned Women for America