HB 390, an application for Convention of States, is a very dangerous bill making its way through the North Carolina legislature. HB390 would put our U.S. Constitution in jeopardy by opening it up for amendments (changes) such as the repeal of the Second Amendment and/or abolishing the Electoral College.
Convention of States also called a Constitutional Convention, Article 5 Convention, Con Con, etc. is considered by some as the way to solve any government issue. They believe amending or rewriting our Constitution is the way to fix our government.
Please read Concerned Women for America’s (CWA) brochure The U.S. Constitution is Not the Problem! to understand this topic.
- It is too risky to open our Constitution. Too much national division, radical interest groups.
- Limit power of the Federal government, fiscal restraint — all the goals the Con Con is trying to achieve are already listed in our Constitution. It just needs to be obeyed.
- Too much uncertainty as to how a Con Con would be conducted.
- Delegates to a Con Con could set their own rules with a new ratification mode.
- Who selects the delegates? Would California get more than North Carolina? Unknown.
- Ideas already suggested for Con-Con consideration: abolish Electoral College, Repeal of Second Amendment, weakening of First Amendment, Equal Rights Amendment, a new constitution.
Bill Status: This week, the North Carolina House passed HB 390 out of committee. It is now in the Rules Committee.
Please take action!
- Contact Rules Committee Chair, David Lewis, and ask him to hold H390 in committee. E-mail: [email protected] Phone: (919) 715-3015
- Contact the members of the House Rules Committee and ask them to oppose HB 390. Consider using some of the talking points above. Be sure to let them know that you are a member of Concerned Women for America of North Carolina. When e-mailing, provide your name and address. Put a brief message in the subject line.
- Forward this email on to friends and encourage them to both pray and take action on this important topic.
Please pray that this bill will be stopped, as our God-given freedoms and liberties are at stake.
“These are the things you are to do: Speak the truth to each other and render true and sound judgment in your courts.” (Zechariah 8:16)