Last Wednesday, we had an amazing turnout for our 19th Annual Day at the Capitol in Raleigh. We had over 100 attendees participate in our lobbying efforts to override the veto of SB 359, the Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act. NC Values Coalition joined with us again this year for our legislative briefing, lobbying efforts, chapel time, and observance of a session of the State House of Representatives.
We were grateful to have abortion survivors, Gianna Jessen and Claire Culwell, join us when we lobbied legislators on SB 359. You can watch North Carolina House Speaker Tim Moore’s (R- Cleveland) press conference with Gianna and Claire here.
We also had the joy of presenting former North Carolina State Rep. Bill Brawley (R-Mecklenburg) with an engraved tray recognizing him as an honorary member of Concerned Women for America (CWA) of North Carolina. CWA of North Carolina worked with former Rep. Brawley for several years on human trafficking legislation he sponsored. We greatly appreciate his work on the issue and his friendship with CWA of North Carolina.
Sadly, despite the heart-wrenching appeals and prayers, the efforts to override Gov. Roy Cooper’s veto of SB 359 in the House came up short. Though the North Carolina lawmakers voted 67 to 53 in favor of overriding the veto, it failed to reach the three-fifths approval required to do so. The North Carolina Senate approved the override several weeks ago.
CWA of North Carolina would like to thank the following legislators:
- Speaker Moore for his resolute effort to garner the three-fifths vote necessary for the veto override.
- House members who voted in favor of the veto override, including House Democrats Charles Graham (Robeson) and Garland E. Pierce (Hoke, Scotland), who bravely voted against their caucus in favor of the override.
- Senate members who voted in favor of the veto override early in the session, including Democrat Senator Don Davis (Greene, Pitt) who also bravely voted against his caucus in late April in favor of the override.
Lastly, we want to thank each of you who joined us in Raleigh, as well as those who were praying with us from home. We continue to ask for your prayers and ask that you take the following action.
(When talking to legislators’ offices, be sure to let them know that you are a member of Concerned Women for America of North Carolina.)
- Contact House Speaker Tim Moore and thank him for his efforts to override the veto. Also, urge the Speaker to call for another override vote before the session adjourns for the year on June 30. 704-739-1221/[email protected].
- Contact your state representative to thank him/her for voting in favor of the veto override, or to express disappointment if he/she voted against the veto override. Click here to locate your representative. Click here to see how your representative voted.
- Contact the three Democrats below who voted for the veto override and thank them for their brave vote.
- Don Davis: 919-715-8363/[email protected]
- Charles Graham 910-739-396/[email protected]
- Garland E. Pierce 910-369-2844/[email protected]
Continue to pray fervently, “But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, ‘With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.’” Matthew 19:26
In Truth and Righteousness,
CWA of North Carolina