Stop the Dangerous H.R. 1, For the People Act
At a time when the country is in desperate need of confidence in our elections, this bill will completely shatter American’s confidence. The bill oversteps constitutional limits by seeking to curtail the states’ rights in an attempt to nationalize election procedures and permanently alter the power balance to favor one political party. These are some of the most grievous provisions included in H.R. 1:
- It makes pandemic-related emergency changes to election procedures permanent.
The threat presented by COVID-19 in the last election gave way to a barrage of “accommodations,” like expanding mail-in voting or extending deadlines beyond what state law required, which gave way to irregularities that undermined public confidence in the election. H.R. 1 wants to force states to make these changes permanently. For example:
- It requires states to implement an automatic registration system to register any eligible unregistered citizen, while at the same time shielding them from prosecution if ineligible voters are mistakenly registered.
- It mandates no-excuse absentee voting, while prohibiting the requiring of a voter I.D.
- Its ultimate end is to nationalize our election system.
- It mandates that states provide ballot drop boxes 45 days before a federal election.
- It requires states to establish an independent redistricting commission, in strict violation of federalism principles.
- It establishes a new federal “Election Security Grants Advisory Committee,” to award grants to states that meet federal preferences.
- It seeks to aggravate our national divide in order to punish political opponents, in direct violation of our First Amendment protections.
- Imposes new requirements on any group that merely seeks to speak about federal policy, incentivizing disengagement.
- It seeks to force citizens who contribute to nonprofit organizations into a searchable government database, facilitating the harassment and intimidation of private citizens by making their personal information available to the public.
- It makes permanent the politicization of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) that we have experienced in the past under malicious officials like Lois Lerner.
- It permits the IRS to investigate and consider the political and policy persuasions of any organization and its members before granting tax-exempt status.
- As if our national debt was not a crisis already, it seeks to inject more federal money into funding political campaigns.
- R. 1 actually creates a 6 to 1 government match to any small donor contributions of $200 or less in a congressional or presidential campaign.
- It also establishes a new voucher pilot program that grants eligible voters a $25 voucher to donate to any campaign of their choosing.
- It further seeks to blatantly politicize the Federal Election Commission (FEC).
- It changes the FEC from a bipartisan, six-member agency to a partisan, five-member agency under the control of whoever is president, opening it up to political manipulations by a simple majority.
Dear Reader: Like the quality of the work we do? Donate now to keep the information flowing!