“Having witnessed the difficulties and dangers experienced by the first Convention … I should tremble for the result of a second.” “the most violent partisans,” and “individuals of insidious views” would strive to be delegates and would have “a dangerous opportunity of sapping the very foundations of the fabric” of our Country.- James Madison’s letter to G.L. Turberville, 1788
SJR 503 is a good resolution regarding the Article V Constitutional Convention and deserves our support.
Background: In 2015, the South Dakota legislature passed a resolution (HJR1001), applying to Congress to call a Constitutional Convention for the purpose of altering the U.S. Constitution by adding a Balanced Budget Amendment. SJR 503 is a good resolution to rescind that 2015 measure.
- A Balanced Budget Amendment sounds like a good idea, but Congress has the power of the purse and can limit their spending to the enumerated powers delegated to them in Article 1, Section 8 of the U.S. Constitution. If they obeyed the U.S. Constitution and their spending limits, the budget would be under control.
- A Constitutional Convention may not be limited to one subject or amendment. It is too risky to open the U.S. Constitution to whatever delegates would like to bring, such as the Equal Rights Amendment, a repeal of the Second Amendment, a repeal of the Electoral College, a new constitution, etc.
- SJR503 would make South Dakota free of any Constitutional Convention applications.
SJR503 was heard in the Senate State Affairs Committee today and the vote was deferred to Monday, February 24. We want a yes vote. Assuming it passes out of committee, it will be voted on in the full Senate on Tuesday, February 25.
Please take action:
- Contact your state senator and urge him/her to “Support SJR503.” Be sure to provide your name and address, so he/she knows you are their constituent.
- Click here to view the list of legislators and then click on their e-mail address.
- In addition, phone the senate lobby and leave a message. (605) 773-3821. Again, provide your name and address.
- Click here if you do not know who your legislators are, or you may call your county auditor to find out their name.
- Pass this alert on to others and ask them to contact their senator as well.
Please read our brochure “The U.S. Constitution is Not the Problem!” to understand this topic further.
Please join me in prayer, Father, we thank you for our country and the amazing founding document you directed brilliant men to create. We ask Your protection of our U.S. Constitution from those who wish to do mischief with it. We ask that American citizens would be knowledgeable about our government and that lawmakers would obey the Constitution. Bless our nation with righteousness and revival. May we be a nation that blesses and honors You.