Concerned Women for America through its Board of Trustees has established Defense of Family as one of its seven core issues on which we focus our efforts. Below, please find a few very basic verses that describe the Biblical support we find for our focus on this issue, as taken from our Core Issues: Biblical Foundations document. We also include our concerns on this issue, followed by the goals set forth to reverse the devastating trends in our society, as taken from our Concerns and Goals document.
Defense of Family
God made marriage between a man and a woman.
- “And He answered and said to them, ‘Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning “made them male and female,” and said, “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh”? So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.’” (Matthew 19:4-6)
Earthly example of Christ’s relationship with the church. God recognizes marriage as a covenant representative of his covenant with the church.
- “Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church.” (Ephesians 5:25-29)
Populating the earth is a mandate from God, not a threat to humanity.
- “So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Then God blessed them, and God said to them, ‘Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.’” (Genesis 1:27-28)
God requires us all to honor their parents; the only commandment with promise.
- “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.” (Exodus 20:12)
God holds parents accountable for raising their children.
- “And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.” (Ephesians 6:4)
Concerns and Goals
We are concerned about:
- The disrespect for and devaluation of the family and for the unique contribution of fathers and mothers. The attempt to deny biological distinctions between men and women.
- Sexual promiscuity, cohabitation and sexually transmitted diseases.
- The alarming increase in violence in American households, including same-sex and opposite-sex partner assaults, spousal assaults, and child and elder abuse.
- The prevalence of drug and substance abuse in our country and the move towards normalization/legalization of drugs.
- The detrimental effects of gambling.
We are working to see:
- The family esteemed as the bedrock institution of society consisting of individuals related by blood, marriage (the legal union of one man and one woman), birth, or adoption. The respect for the distinctiveness of men and women.
- Society value and respect marriage, encourage sexual abstinence before marriage and educate on the dangers of promiscuity.
- An end to violence within households, especially the sexual abuse of children, while reinforcing the importance and autonomy of healthy families.
- An end to drug and substance abuse and its normalization and legalization.
- The elimination of gambling in all its forms.
Defense of Family Articles
Sometimes, it seems like very few legislators in the U.S. Congress listen to what the American people have to say. This is especially true for legislation related to family values….
Weak leadership in Washington is unnecessarily wreaking havoc on American families. At the same time President Joe Biden held a tone-deaf, high-class celebration of the passage of the crookedly titled…
The Senate is poised to vote on S.4556, the so-called “Respect for Marriage Act” (more like the “Disrespect of Marriage Act”). Concerned Women for America Legislative Action Committee (CWALAC), the…
Concerned Women for America Legislative Action Committee (CWALAC) unapologetically proclaims the foundation of family as the union of a man and woman in marriage who together raise children. That is…
By Mattie Harris, University of Arkansas PhD student in Education PolicyYoung Women for America Ambassador “What did the plumber say to the singer? … He said, ‘You have nice pipes,…
Florida has become ground zero in the cultural battle over gender radicalism. Gov. Ron DeSantis does not disappoint. Staking ground on principle while taking principled policy action is the strongest…
For Immediate ReleaseFebruary 18, 2022Contact: Katie Everett, Press SecretaryKeverett@cwfa.org(571) 420-2488 ERA is Dead, and so is Virginia’s Lawsuit CWA Praises New Virginia AG for Championing Women Washington, D.C. – Today,…
Concerned Women for America’s CEO and President, Penny Nance, joined The Victory Channel to discuss the recall of three San Francisco school board members and the upcoming battle to save…