Concerned Women for America through its Board of Trustees has established Defense of Family as one of its seven core issues on which we focus our efforts. Below, please find a few very basic verses that describe the Biblical support we find for our focus on this issue, as taken from our Core Issues: Biblical Foundations document. We also include our concerns on this issue, followed by the goals set forth to reverse the devastating trends in our society, as taken from our Concerns and Goals document.
Defense of Family
God made marriage between a man and a woman.
“And He answered and said to them, ‘Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning “made them male and female,” and said, “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh”? So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.'” (Matthew 19:4-6)
Earthly example of Christ’s relationship with the church. God recognizes marriage as a covenant representative of his covenant with the church.
“Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church.” (Ephesians 5:25-29)
Populating the earth is a mandate from God, not a threat to humanity.
“So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Then God blessed them, and God said to them, ‘Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.'” (Genesis 1:27-28)
God requires us all to honor their parents; the only commandment with promise.
“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.” (Exodus 20:12)
God holds parents accountable for raising their children.
“And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.” (Ephesians 6:4)
We are concerned about:
1. The disrespect for family and for the unique contribution of fathers and mothers. The attempt to eliminate natural distinctions between men and women.
2. Sexual promiscuity, cohabitation and sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV/AIDS.
3. The alarming increase in violence in American households, including same-sex and opposite-sex partner assaults, spousal assaults, and child and elder abuse.
4. The prevalence of drug and substance abuse in our country and the move towards normalization/legalization of drugs.
5. The detrimental effects of gambling on the family.
We are working to see:
1. The family esteemed as the bedrock institution of society consisting of individuals related by blood, marriage (the legal union of one man and one woman), birth, or adoption. The respect for the distinctiveness of men and women.
2. Society value and respect marriage, encourage sexual abstinence before marriage and educate on the dangers of promiscuous sexuality; HIV/AIDS treated as a public health epidemic and not as a civil rights issue.
3. An end to violence within households, especially the sexual abuse of children, while reinforcing the importance and autonomy of healthy families.
4. An end to drug and substance abuse and its normalization and legalization.
5. The elimination of gambling in all its forms.
CWA’s very own Shea Garrison highlighted in Judicial Watch Blog. Concerned Women for America, the group that assisted the Georgia mother, has conducted extensive research on the Equality Act and…
Concerned Women for America CEO & President Penny Nance stands for policies that support families and children on FOX News’ Tucker Carlson Tonight.
Women across the political perspective applauded recently when Kay Coles James, the first woman and the first African-American to lead the conservative and respected Heritage Foundation, was chosen to join Google’s new external…
This week, the House passed a reauthorization bill of the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), but this bill falls short and fails to accomplish its namesake goal. From its inception, the purpose of VAWA has…
How can people like Ginni Rometty, the first female CEO of IBM, so easily jump on the bandwagon of the so-called Equality Act and fail to see its obvious threats to women?…
For the ninth time during a session of the Texas Legislature, Concerned Women for America of Texas hosted “Dinner with Texas Legislators.” This year, seventeen Texas legislators participated in the…
This week, government delegates and non-governmental organizations from all over the world met in NYC at the United Nations for the 63rd Commission on the Status of Women (CSW63). Concerned…
This Concerned Women for America “The Counterpoint” policy paper suggests a “Three Pillar Strategy” to better prioritize and focus Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) funds, programming, and other resources to uphold…
The so-called transgender moment that followed the celebration of homosexual behavior is giving way to an even darker effort to normalize child sexual exploitation. The Daily Wire report of an…
Anti-religious liberty forces lost at the U.S. Supreme Court today in the case of Jack Phillips, the Colorado baker who sought to live his life in accordance with his faith…
Controversies are not uncommon to Facebook. This is why I usually don’t pay too much attention to them. But a friend made me notice the school teacher who posted what…
Five months out from the Harvey Weinstein scandal and the subsequent launch of #MeToo, we find ourselves celebrating International Women’s Day on Thursday with a focus on gender parity. Concerned Women for…