Concerned Women for America through its Board of Trustees has established Defense of Family as one of its seven core issues on which we focus our efforts. Below, please find a few very basic verses that describe the Biblical support we find for our focus on this issue, as taken from our Core Issues: Biblical Foundations document. We also include our concerns on this issue, followed by the goals set forth to reverse the devastating trends in our society, as taken from our Concerns and Goals document.
Defense of Family
God made marriage between a man and a woman.
- “And He answered and said to them, ‘Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning “made them male and female,” and said, “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh”? So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.’” (Matthew 19:4-6)
Earthly example of Christ’s relationship with the church. God recognizes marriage as a covenant representative of his covenant with the church.
- “Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church.” (Ephesians 5:25-29)
Populating the earth is a mandate from God, not a threat to humanity.
- “So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Then God blessed them, and God said to them, ‘Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.’” (Genesis 1:27-28)
God requires us all to honor their parents; the only commandment with promise.
- “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.” (Exodus 20:12)
God holds parents accountable for raising their children.
- “And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.” (Ephesians 6:4)
Concerns and Goals
We are concerned about:
- The disrespect for and devaluation of the family and for the unique contribution of fathers and mothers. The attempt to deny biological distinctions between men and women.
- Sexual promiscuity, cohabitation and sexually transmitted diseases.
- The alarming increase in violence in American households, including same-sex and opposite-sex partner assaults, spousal assaults, and child and elder abuse.
- The prevalence of drug and substance abuse in our country and the move towards normalization/legalization of drugs.
- The detrimental effects of gambling.
We are working to see:
- The family esteemed as the bedrock institution of society consisting of individuals related by blood, marriage (the legal union of one man and one woman), birth, or adoption. The respect for the distinctiveness of men and women.
- Society value and respect marriage, encourage sexual abstinence before marriage and educate on the dangers of promiscuity.
- An end to violence within households, especially the sexual abuse of children, while reinforcing the importance and autonomy of healthy families.
- An end to drug and substance abuse and its normalization and legalization.
- The elimination of gambling in all its forms.
Defense of Family Articles
San Francisco’s Gay Men’s Chorus made headlines last week by posting a highly controversial video claiming they were going to “convert your children.” The chorus has defended their remarks as…
In my inaugural Substack exclusive, I wrote to you about the strategic targeting of our children by secularist humanists intent on capturing and manipulating their minds and emotions before they are…
This past weekend, hundreds of formerly LGBTQ-identifying individuals gathered in Washington, D.C. as part of the CHANGED Movement’s Freedom March. They shared testimonies about how Jesus met them where they…
In the paragraphs that follow, I attempt the impossible. Few achieve the magical task of putting into words the unspeakable fidgeting of the heart. It is a dangerous business to…
Penny Nance, our President and CEO, joined America’s Voice Live to discuss the news of the day, including the cyber-attack on the Colonial pipeline, Critical Race Theory, and how all these…
Our Chief Financial Officer, Denise Cappuccio, joined “Joy with Danette Crawford” this week to share a powerful story of what can happen when we surrender our own will and desires…
By Penny Nance, CEO and President of Concerned Women for America The latest dust-up with corporate America over Georgia’s new common-sense election law is just the latest example of how…
By Doreen Denny, Vice President of Government Relations In the past two weeks, we have seen significant progress in the fight against radical gender ideology in the states. Importantly, many…