Concerned Women for America through its Board of Trustees has established Defense of Family as one of its seven core issues on which we focus our efforts. Below, please find a few very basic verses that describe the Biblical support we find for our focus on this issue, as taken from our Core Issues: Biblical Foundations document. We also include our concerns on this issue, followed by the goals set forth to reverse the devastating trends in our society, as taken from our Concerns and Goals document.
Defense of Family
God made marriage between a man and a woman.
“And He answered and said to them, ‘Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning “made them male and female,” and said, “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh”? So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.'” (Matthew 19:4-6)
Earthly example of Christ’s relationship with the church. God recognizes marriage as a covenant representative of his covenant with the church.
“Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church.” (Ephesians 5:25-29)
Populating the earth is a mandate from God, not a threat to humanity.
“So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Then God blessed them, and God said to them, ‘Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.'” (Genesis 1:27-28)
God requires us all to honor their parents; the only commandment with promise.
“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.” (Exodus 20:12)
God holds parents accountable for raising their children.
“And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.” (Ephesians 6:4)
We are concerned about:
1. The disrespect for family and for the unique contribution of fathers and mothers. The attempt to eliminate natural distinctions between men and women.
2. Sexual promiscuity, cohabitation and sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV/AIDS.
3. The alarming increase in violence in American households, including same-sex and opposite-sex partner assaults, spousal assaults, and child and elder abuse.
4. The prevalence of drug and substance abuse in our country.
5. The detrimental effects of gambling on the family.
We are working to see:
1. The family esteemed as the bedrock institution of society consisting of individuals related by blood, marriage (the legal union of one man and one woman), birth, or adoption. The respect for the distinctiveness of men and women.
2. Society value and respect marriage, encourage sexual abstinence before marriage and educate on the dangers of promiscuous sexuality; HIV/AIDS treated as a public health epidemic and not as a civil rights issue.
3. An end to violence within households, especially the sexual abuse of children, while reinforcing the importance and autonomy of healthy families.
4. An end to drug and substance abuse.
5. The elimination of gambling in all its forms.
A couple of years ago, while appearing on CNN with Van Jones, former Obama Administration Special Adviser for Green Energy, he shared something personal. In a moment of transparency, the…
Last week, Concerned Women for America submitted an amicus brief (which is just a fancy way of saying a “friend-of-the-court” brief) in a very important First Amendment case before…
As the Left have attempted to stake their claim as the only group who represents and cares about women, they have also managed to simultaneously stab these same women in…
According to U.S. Census Bureau, an estimated 24.7 million children live without their biological father. Sadly, this disproportionately affects minority communities. And the effects of this reality are heartbreaking:…
Washington, D.C. – Today President Trump tweeted that after meeting with his Generals and military experts that transgender individuals would no longer be serving in any capacity in the U.S. Military….
The world is shocked by the European Court of Human Rights decision to remove 10-month-old Charlie Gard from life support against the wishes of his parents. After his doctors said…
Some of the most difficult subjects for us to engage in these days have to do with marriage, morality, and sexuality. I know it’s not easy to stand for…
As women who are concerned for America, why do we do what we do? Why support lobbying efforts, write letters to Congress, make phone calls to the White House, and…
Washington, D.C. –Today, Judge Gorsuch, soon-to-be Justice Gorsuch, was confirmed 54-45 to be the next Associate Supreme Court Justice of the United States with bi-partisan support. Penny Nance, CEO and President…
Ruth. She was a Moabite — a nation that only existed because of the rape and incest of Lot’s daughters with their father. Thus there was political hostility between her…
Washington, D.C. – Penny Nance, CEO & President of Concerned Women for America (CWA), had this to say in response to reports that President Trump has rescinded the Obama Administration…