Concerned Women for America through its Board of Trustees has established Defense of Family as one of its seven core issues on which we focus our efforts. Below, please find a few very basic verses that describe the Biblical support we find for our focus on this issue, as taken from our Core Issues: Biblical Foundations document. We also include our concerns on this issue, followed by the goals set forth to reverse the devastating trends in our society, as taken from our Concerns and Goals document.
Defense of Family
God made marriage between a man and a woman.
- “And He answered and said to them, ‘Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning “made them male and female,” and said, “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh”? So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.’” (Matthew 19:4-6)
Earthly example of Christ’s relationship with the church. God recognizes marriage as a covenant representative of his covenant with the church.
- “Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church.” (Ephesians 5:25-29)
Populating the earth is a mandate from God, not a threat to humanity.
- “So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Then God blessed them, and God said to them, ‘Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.’” (Genesis 1:27-28)
God requires us all to honor their parents; the only commandment with promise.
- “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.” (Exodus 20:12)
God holds parents accountable for raising their children.
- “And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.” (Ephesians 6:4)
Concerns and Goals
We are concerned about:
- The disrespect for and devaluation of the family and for the unique contribution of fathers and mothers. The attempt to deny biological distinctions between men and women.
- Sexual promiscuity, cohabitation and sexually transmitted diseases.
- The alarming increase in violence in American households, including same-sex and opposite-sex partner assaults, spousal assaults, and child and elder abuse.
- The prevalence of drug and substance abuse in our country and the move towards normalization/legalization of drugs.
- The detrimental effects of gambling.
We are working to see:
- The family esteemed as the bedrock institution of society consisting of individuals related by blood, marriage (the legal union of one man and one woman), birth, or adoption. The respect for the distinctiveness of men and women.
- Society value and respect marriage, encourage sexual abstinence before marriage and educate on the dangers of promiscuity.
- An end to violence within households, especially the sexual abuse of children, while reinforcing the importance and autonomy of healthy families.
- An end to drug and substance abuse and its normalization and legalization.
- The elimination of gambling in all its forms.
Defense of Family Articles
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE October 17, 2020 Contact: Stephanie Rivera 954.243.6301, email@example.com Concerned Women for America Legislative Action Committee Responds to Nationwide Women’s March Nance: “The liberal left chooses to exclude…
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE August 26, 2020 Contact: Stephanie Rivera 954.243.6301, firstname.lastname@example.org CWA Celebrates 100 Years of the 19th Amendment Washington, D.C. – As today commemorates the passage of the 19th Amendment to the…
Concerned Women for America’s CEO and President Penny Nance co-authored this Washington Time’s op-ed with The Heritage Foundation’s President Kay Cole James for the 100th anniversary of the 19th Amendment.
Concerned Women for America data analyst, Keri Ann Thompson, wrote a recent op-ed for CNSNews on her reflections on being a homeschooling mom. Read the entire op-ed.
Precisely forty-two years ago, in 1978, Beverly LaHaye held the first Concerned Women for America (CWA) meeting in San Diego, California, to educate women about the threats presented by the…
The Television Network FX/Hulu has released a series called “Mrs. America,” a dramatization about the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA) fight. This series has offensive and often inaccurate depictions of Phyllis…
Our CEO and President Penny Nance appeared on Daystar TV on the “Marcus & Joni” Show. Penny spoke to Marcus and Joni Lamb about numerous topics including her book, Feisty…
There is no excerpt because this is a protected post.