“A Constitutional Convention is a horrible idea.” – Late Justice Antonin Scalia stated in 2015
House Joint Resolution (HJR) 172 is a bad resolution that must be defeated. HJR 172 is a request to Congress for an Article V Convention proposing one amendment for Congressional term limits. An Article V Convention would change the U.S. Constitution. See talking points below for why an Article V Convention is dangerous.
HJR 172 has been fast-tracked to the House Judiciary I Committee and will be heard in committee on Tuesday, March 9, 2021, at 11:00 a.m. We must take action now.
At first glance, it may sound good to support HJR 172. However, Concerned Women for America (CWA) of North Carolina opposes HJR 172. Regardless of one’s thoughts about term limits for Congress, an Article V Convention is not the way to go. Despite the false assurance of supporters, such a convention cannot be limited to one amendment or to a specific subject matter like term limits. In addition to the Representatives in the North Carolina House who are sponsoring this proposal, in a highly unusual move, Speaker of the House, Tim Moore, has signed on as a sponsor.
Urgent Immediate Action Needed by 11:00 a.m. on Tuesday, March 9!
- Contact Speaker of the House Tim Moore and let him know you oppose an Article V Convention for any reason. E-mail: [email protected] | Phone: (919)-733-3451.
- Contact the members of the Judiciary I Committee listed below my signature and urge them to oppose (HJR) 172. If you are a member of Concerned Women for America of North Carolina, be sure to let them know.
- Forward this information to family and friends.
- The nation is in tremendous turmoil right now. This is a terrible time to put us into a convention that could jeopardize the integrity and strength of the U.S. Constitution.
- Media reporting is untrustworthy, and Big Tech is controlling messages in unprecedented ways. What impressions would they convey of the convention proceedings?
- Too much uncertainty as to how a Constitutional Convention would be conducted. Who selects the delegates? If we had a convention, we don’t know how many delegates or votes each state will receive. Will it be based on the Electoral model? California gets 55, and North Carolina gets 15 delegates? Seven states have only three delegates?
Please pray: “Father, we thank you for our country and the amazing founding document you directed brilliant men to create. We ask for Your protection of our U.S. Constitution from those who wish to do mischief with it. We ask that American citizens would be knowledgeable about our government and that lawmakers would obey the Constitution. Bless our nation with righteousness and revival. May we be a nation that blesses and honors You.”
Please let me know if you have any questions and share this alert with friends, family members, or other contacts who might want to join us in this effort.
For Truth and Righteousness,
House Judiciary I Committee members:
- Chairman Ted Davis (House District 20-New Hanover) (919) 733-5786 | [email protected]
- Vice Chairman Grey Mills (House District 95-Iredell) (919) 733-5741 | [email protected]
- John Bradford (House District 98-Mecklenburg (919)733-5828 | [email protected]
- Larry Potts (House District 81-Davidson (919) 715-0873 | [email protected]
- Jason Saine (House District 97-Lincoln) (919) 733-5782 | [email protected]
- John Sauls (House District 51-Harnett, Lee) (919) 715-5929 | [email protected]