“Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute.” Proverbs 31:8
Concerned Women for America of Pennsylvania is disappointed that Gov. Josh Shapiro (Democrat) plans to cancel the 30-year contract with Real Alternatives. This organization funds pregnancy resource centers, maternity homes, and adoption agencies within Pennsylvania.
Canceling the contract is a step in the wrong direction in a state that already struggles with maternal and fetal health outcomes. Pregnancy Resource Centers (PRC) are under attack by pro-abortion advocates now more than ever since the June 2022 Dobbs decision. The primary goal of a PRC is to come alongside women and men by offering caring, personalized, and tangible support that goes far beyond a pregnancy test.
In our Commonwealth, PRCs outnumber abortion clinics 9-1. As of April 2023, there are currently 160 centers around the state. Let’s rally together to show support of their life-saving efforts. I have listed a few action items to get you started. You can find the center nearest to you here.
- Pray: Your local PRC needs prayer for protection and provision. They minister on the front lines of spiritual warfare and now face even physical threats, which are very evident since the reversal of Roe v Wade.
- Volunteer: Get plugged in with your local PRC. Consider being a liaison between your church and your local PRC to “adopt a mom.” Wouldn’t it be rewarding to host a baby shower to help a mom purchase everything she needs – from clothing to a car seat to a crib?
- Give: Your local PRC needs your financial support to ensure their ability to help meet the needs of women in your community facing a decision of an unplanned pregnancy. Your time and resources will greatly impact someone’s life.
- Arrange a Diaper or Formula Drive: A baby will go through between 7000 – 8000 diapers in the first two years of their lives. PRCs are always in need of diapers and unscented wipes. Since the national shortage coupled with the current cost of formula, your local PRC could always use your help to keep their formula supply stocked to meet the needs of local moms.
- Encourage the PRC Staff and Volunteers – what they do on a day-to-day basis is not always easy. Sending thank you notes, ordering pizza for lunch, or putting together a goodie basket would brighten their day. This would be a tremendous blessing to your local PRC.
Our Pennsylvania PRCs need our support. Let’s help them continue to provide all the free services and resources to women facing unplanned pregnancies in our communities. Thank you for engaging with us in the fight for life!
From knees to feet,
Dilonna M. Coran