With the Biden Administration and a partisan majority on Capitol Hill pushing destructive policies at every turn, it’s not often that we are able to share good news from Washington, D.C. Today is an exception!
We have confirmed that Congress will NOT be moving forward with a wrong-headed policy forcing young women to register for a potential military draft. Working with our allies in Congress, we stopped the move to draft our daughters in its tracks.
Your donation to Concerned Women for America Legislative Action Committee makes this kind of work possible.
Concerned Women for America Legislative Action Committee (CWALAC) was on the frontline of this battle from Day One, drawing a bright line of opposition and leading others to stand strong against this policy. As CWALAC CEO and President Penny Nance emphasized in her opening statement:
“American women are free to serve and proud to serve, but they shouldn’t be forced to serve. Young women today need to know they are respected for their female status and the many essential roles women embrace in all seasons of life as workers, wives, mothers, and caregivers. Setting women up to be sent to war shouldn’t be one of them ….
“Congress has never justified as a matter of military readiness or national security a reversal in selective service policy that would force our daughters under penalty of law to gamble their lives on the lottery of war.”
CWAs Legislative Action Committee fought tirelessly to prevent this unjustified, monumental reversal in military policy from seeing the light of day in this year’s National Defense Authorization Act:
- We initiated a Coalition Letter galvanizing conservative leaders and grassroots organizations to stand up and fight this policy.
- We produced a Fact Sheet to educate Members of Congress and provide the case against adding young women to the Selective Service.
- We provided leading analysis of the text to behind-the-scenes decision-makers exposing the multiple unintended consequences of the far-reaching language.
- Our Action Center galvanized our grassroots supporters to send thousands of messages to members of Congress urging them to oppose drafting our daughters.
- We informed of public opinion showing DECLINING support among women since 2016, the last time this issue was debated in Congress.
- Our Young Women for America team produced a video relating the views and concerns of young women about this policy.
- We held members accountable for their votes and called out publicly the Republicans who voted for the NDAA with a policy to draft our daughters.
- We persistently lobbied congressional offices, allies, and lead negotiators to stand firm, sponsor amendments to strike the language, and not give in.
WE WON! This is a CWA accomplishment worth CELEBRATING.
As you can see, victories like this take a lot of hard work. Your year-end donation guarantees that the work will continue.