Your ‘First 100 Days Update’
- Appoint a constitutionalist to take Justice Scalia’s place on the Supreme Court.
President Trump has appointed Judge Gorsuch who we believe is a constitutionalist. CWA is actively involved in the confirmation process of Judge Gorsuch, engaging all of our resources and staff in coordinated efforts of op-eds, letters to the editor, coalition letters, social media, and meetings with staff on the Hill. We have also engaged our grassroots through our state organizations. CWA is part of a pro-life coalition as well working on the nomination.
- Develop a plan with our military leaders to fully defeat ISIS.
There has been little progress on this since President Trump has been delayed in fully staffing all the positions needed to develop a comprehensive plan (Senate delays and the resignation of Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn).
- Defund Planned Parenthood and use that taxpayer money for local health clinics.
The defunding of Planned Parenthood is currently in this year’s reconciliation bill. We are working to be sure it stays in the bill. We are also working on overturning the Title X regulation that Obama’s Health and Human Services Department (HHS) submitted that would prevent states from defunding Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) of Title X funds. The Congressional Review Act (CRA) passed the House. (CRA is an oversight mechanism that Congress can use to overturn certain agency actions within a set window of time.) Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) has introduced a Senate version of the same CRA. She has also reintroduced a bill redirecting funding of PPFA to Federally Qualified Health Centers. CWA is working those bills also.
- Fully restore our relationship with Israel.
President Trump invited Prime Minister Netanyahu to visit the United States, one of the first world leaders to do so since Trump’s election, in an effort to begin restoring the U.S.-Israel relationship. This was a symbolic move.
- Restore, respect, and protect religious liberty.
President Trump has not yet addressed this. There is speculation on a potential executive order.
- Overturn the onerous regulatory state that impacts small and family businesses.
The Administration has not yet taken direct action in this area. However, they have, as we have, been very busy meeting about and negotiating on Obamacare and the options for a replacement, which will impact burdensome regulations on small and family businesses.
- Strengthen our military, making the defense of our nation a top priority.
President Trump has started to address this by building his personnel team that is committed to a new culture in the Defense Department of strengthening the military in all areas.
- Stop the defunding of schools that don’t comply with the transgender bathroom policy.
Attorney General Jeff Sessions stated that the Department of Justice will not enforce Obama’s executive order on transgender bathroom policy.
- Protect the Hyde Amendment, keeping taxpayer money from being used to fund abortions.
The bill to make the Hyde Amendment permanent law (H.R. 7) has passed the House. We are currently working to make sure it is included in healthcare reform. We feel confident that the president will sign this if it passes the Senate and goes to his desk.
- Fully repeal Obamacare and replace it with patient-centered, affordable healthcare options for every American.
The president is focused on this. We expect to see legislation in mid-March.
You’re also invited to sign up for future “Capitol Hill Brief” e-mails for exclusive insider information about what’s happening on Capitol Hill – and discover what you can do to fight for your family.