HR147 “Urges President Obama to submit the U.N. Convention on the Rights of the Child to the U.S. Senate for its advice and consent without delay, and further calls on the U.S. Senate to move swiftly to approve the Convention.” CWA of Illinois opposes HR147.
- The U.N. Rights of the Child (UNCRC) is a human rights treaty which sets out the civil, political, economic, social, health and cultural rights of children.
- Nations that ratify this convention are bound to it by international law.
- All American law affecting American children would adhere to the standards of the United Nations.
- The government is given the authority to take children away from their parents.
- The government would take away parents’ right to direct the education of their children.
- Ratification could outlaw all forms of corporate punishment (including spanking).
Overwhelming grassroots efforts to oppose the Rights of the Child resolution for several weeks now has resulted in a delayed hearing. Phones were ringing non-stop to the Youth and Young Adults Committee. An unprecedented 1,156 witness slips were registered.
Parentrights.org reports as a result, five representatives on the committee have publicly stated that if the resolution were called to a vote, they would oppose it.
For more information go to CWA’s U.N. Treaty Threatens Parental Rights.
The next hearing is scheduled for Thursday, March 12! The bill could be called for a vote in any of the committee hearings during this session.
- Contact each member of the Youth & Young Adults Committee and ask them to oppose HR147.
- Fill out a witness slip for the March 12 hearing on HR147. (Witness slips do not roll over from one hearing to the next.) Be sure to check the boxes for “Opponent,” “Record of Appearance Only,” and “Agree to Terms” before you click “Create (slip)”. Also, use “not applicable” in lines that do not apply to you such as “Firm/Business or Agency” and leave blank section “II. Representation”.
- Contact your state representative and ask him/her to vote NO if HR147 goes to the House floor for a vote.
- Forward this e-alert to your friends, neighbors, pastor and associates. Urge them to pray and take action on this important matter.
- Pray for a public outcry from clergy and citizens to stop HR147.
- Pray the God-given right for parents to raise their children according to their beliefs will be upheld.
- Pray that America would not surrender her sovereignty to the United Nations.
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” Edmund Burke